sufficient-unto-this-day

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Slice Of Life-3

The Bible had its pride of place in our home and not a day passed without my father reading aloud to us from it and giving simple homilies that he was sure we needed to know. Up with the dawn and before retiring for the night the Word was sure to be dispensed as though some sort of sacrament, that said more for his concern than for lapses in our growing up. On looking back, so seems to me that he would have been, had he lived in the time of Dr. Goldsmith, the model for Vicar of Wakefield. (A favorite read of my father by the way and he did read to me when I was ready for it.)
I do not read the Bible anymore as I used to, since I believe I have absorbed all that it holds, for my needs. The book contains no magical potion as spinach was for the one-eyed sailor, but nevertheless,a book of excellent parts that may be used for reflection and as guideposts.
The reason my father dipped into it isn’t the same for me; nor is the manner of his search. I discovered from the Bible what I thought best summed up my world and my needs. The whole New Testament I can sum up in one verse and it ought to teach anyone who is serious about witnessing Christ. It doesn’t matter if we are talking about historical Jesus or someone else.
“And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.’ Zech 13:6
I ought not complain if I suffered loss or gained in my daily transactions with people. In the house of my friends I must show myself friendly no matter what it may entail. If I gained disproportionately some of it must go for the succour of those who are in want. I shall not expect however, others to do the same because one does not make friends with the intent,‘ what’s in it for me?’ I might here add that never have I felt let down completely.
On looking back at my life everytime what at first seemed as a disaster has only turned around for my good. Nothing short of a miracle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home