sufficient-unto-this-day

Monday, November 27, 2006

A Personal Angle

Master Crapper and I had joined Monk Anselmo who was going to the Canterbury Cathedral. He carried with him the votive offerings of his flock of the parish of Pie-in the-Skye. At one stopover he tried to rope us in for God’s service.
Master Crapper didn’t think it was a good idea. Neither did I. He said,
“If God wanted us, he would have given us proper names so we may bring glory to Him.” The monk thought it was a poor excuse. I explained and he still wasn’t convinced.
“ Master Twaddle can’t help his name being Twaddle. Evenso when he say No, it means just that. .”
Monk Anselmo skillfully countered his argument and would have still pressed but my companion said,” If it was God’s will He would chosen for our father’s names as something grander and more respectable.”
Monk Anselmo suggested,” You can always change your name. The Church shall have no objection.”
“ But I do have,” Master Crapper was sure,” my father stood as guarantor for me at my baptism and I bear his name as proudly as I can. But as for the Church it must accept me as I am.”
Master Crapper was certain he served the Church like a flying
buttress, that is from outside.
benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home