sufficient-unto-this-day

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Known Depredator

When I called on Rabbi Benn Weiss he was reading The Hound of Heaven. He had a friend a Maronite Christian whom he introduced and after having exchanged greetings I asked if it was the time to read some scary stuff. The rabbi shot his eyebrows at me. I explained, ” The hound of Baskervilles scared the hell out of my pants.”Perhaps the rabbi knew me too well to make a fuss and said quietly: “ This is a poem and a moving one at that.” Once he explained the poem I could relax,” The poet compare The Unspeakable Name to a hound,” and I looked towards the guest of Benn Weiss with a sweet smile and said,” I come as a thief...” Luckily he didn’t know the quote. So I let it at that. “We ought to stop busybodies making sacred things sound as if they were commonplace.”
“I will come on thee as a thief." I repeated the verse from the book of Apocalypse.
Rabbi looked out and said,” The police are already out in the streets.” He glared at me and asked,” Hope you haven’t been upto any mischief?”
“Cross my heart,” I said facetiously,” nothing criminal except I said some bad jokes and mangled Hebrew.”
* God is like a mug shot (too indistinct to the point of misleading,) on the dossier of a believing heart.
benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home