sufficient-unto-this-day

Monday, November 27, 2006

Aesop's Final Day

6.
One year Aesop lived in a limbo while Law decided his case. In the end the order came.
The night before Aesop was to be executed Agabus ( former fellow slave, now the prison governor) came down to chat. For months together he had sought his company and probed his mind. Aesop’s company relieved his tedium somewhat. That night he asked if he believed in the soul? “Till this day while we chatted up I thought your education was at the expense of a living man. I see no reason why you should profit from a dead man speaking.” Aesop said.
Agabus was apologetic and explained he knew he was a good man who got caught in bad times. Agabus coaxed the condemned to speak his thoughts on after-life. “Allow me to my silence,” he insisted, ”Let me not explain every thing away. Man must have some mystery that he can call his own. It gives his humanity a certain dignity. Let me keep mine.”
“What?”
“My soul, what expresses the Oneness of Things. It matters not what charges the State have found against me. It may be imagined or real. What does it matter? The place where I go to, if I am found in the error, shall correct me but with absolute Justness. So need I waste my breath anymore?”
(Selected from The Life of Aesop.)
PS:
In my opinion we are apprentices to life and we shall go whereever we go, growing in the knowledge of God or Truth whatever. It is my belief that the dead shall be still players, perhaps by giving their energy levels at their disposal to those, who are likely to carry on their unfinished business; or as intercessors for us. These matters, being merely speculation one should take with extreme caution.
benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home