sufficient-unto-this-day

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Art and Nature

One evening Xeno called out Aesop who was walking along the jagged rocks, which the sea had over the years sharpened to a keen edge. Aesop stopped on his tracks. Xeno approached him. He had his lyre with him. He apologized about his behavior in the House of Glaucus. "I was drunk, I suppose." Xeno admitted.
Aesop asked him why he still insisted on carrying the lyre.
"You are a philosopher and not a musician." Aesop said.
"Yes, I am a philosopher. Well Heracles, the philosopher always carries a wedge of rock with him to speak of mysteries of nature? I think I could speak with this lyre of the discord that man in his pursuit of power causes."
For emphasis Xeno struck the lyre wildly and the discordant notes set the nerves of Aesop on edge.
"No one who hears you will catch the point you are trying to state. They will only close their ears to shut out that jarring music." Aesop said.
"How is that Heracles could succeed with a stone, whereas I cannot, though we both are using an object to illustrate our arguments?"
Aesop thought about it for a while. He said: “One can learn lessons from nature, however lowly a thing it may be; whereas what you deal with is art. No amount of words shall come to help you if your art is bad."
benny

3 Comments:

At 10:43 PM , Blogger Bazza said...

As always Benny, your blog is not for the complacent or those afraid of thinking. I only come here when I feel my brain needs exercising! I often drop in and leave no comment; perhaps I should just say hello. I would recommend Stephens 'Random Thoughts' site to you. It's linked from my site. Like your site it's quite cerebral!

 
At 11:39 PM , Blogger benny said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:49 PM , Blogger benny said...

Bazza,
there was some error. As I said Thanks. I do leave a comment only if I have something to add. So feel free to visit as and when you feel: I have left my hello standing.
benny

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home