sufficient-unto-this-day

Sunday, December 17, 2006

One That Didn't Make It-3

Here is a story, which I wrote sometime in 1996 when I first thought of writing the Life of Aesop. Till I had the book in its final form there were too many, more stories than I could have possibly used. In order to achieve a smooth flow of narration I had to discard many. So here is one such a piece of Aesopiana.
Home Improvement
Iadmon who came from the island of Samos was a very strange character whose bark as his slaves found out was worse than his bite. He became mellowed and friendlier but his greed still remained hard as flint and unchanged. Once he came home after a distress sale crowing what a killing he made.
His wife Eugenia took him to the task for his money grubbing. “Haven’t you have had enough?” she asked him in irritation.
Aesop was busy with making the master’s bed and none noticed that he was present. Iadmon said defensively,” I can’t help it, dear.” He added after looking at his wife with a sidelong glance. Aesop could see that he was embarrassed,” My father was poor as his father before him.”
“So what?” his wife shot back.
“Lack of money presses me. My patrimony was nothing but this need to make wealth.”
“You did it well. But must you overdo it?”
“Perhaps not.” Iadmon said, “ Why don’t you compliment for my perseverance and so many good qualities I have acquired?” “What is the point of looking for things which are visible? I can only speak what I have lost in you. It is for you to do something about it.”
Embarrassed Iadmon came out; seeing Aesop on the way he went on finding fault with his work. Suddenly he broke off, confused and muttering something. The slave with a grin said under breath,” He was fishing for compliments with his wife while I wasn’t even fishing for complaints!”

benny

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home