sufficient-unto-this-day

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

One That Didn't Make It-2

Here is a story, which I wrote sometime in 1996 when I first thought of writing the Life of Aesop. Till I had the book in its final form there were too many, more stories than I could have possibly used. In order to achieve a smooth flow of narration I had to discard many. So here is one such a piece of Aesopiana.

Comparisons Are Odious

Iadmon an Athenian trader once came to Thrace. He was interested in buying a slave, not that he had come especially for it, but the price was abysmally low and he could not resist a bargain. The boy was club- footed and his master wanted to sell the boy anyhow. While Iadmon balked Domus his master said: “Never mind his foot. He works best with his head.” Silence. “Come, come sir,” said the slave- owner. “He comes from Abdera, the same place as of Leucippos of revered memory.”
Iadmon immediately brightened up. He called the boy and asked if he knew what he was famous for. “Yes, he also comes from Abdera, like me.” “Nothing else you know, of one of great name?” The boy shook his head.
Iadmon somehow liked the intelligent looks of the boy and asked his name. “Aesop.” said the boy. “I shall expect nothing but the best, boy.” Iadmon said after he counted silver and paid to his master,” make Leucippos sit up and notice.”
Aesop taking farewell of the Thracian said thus: “Making me look as common with some great name of antiquity was unfair. Forever in my new master’s eyes I will have a competition. Who am I and who was Leucippos?”

benny

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home