sufficient-unto-this-day

Saturday, July 21, 2007

W 10- Summary

In The Wilderness ©
Jesus was in the wilderness to be tempted of the devil (St. Mat 4:1).
Firstly he didn’t come in a form we all are so used to . He must have looked like a Jew, in appearance and he would have known his kinsmen and many relations from his father’s side. Especially he would have secured a personal recommendation from a friend of John, his kinsman who was most of the time out. He must have sounded as one who was special and one who could not be refused. No one knows what exactly could have taken place but the meeting offers some interesting possibilities. The tempter must have asked if he really thought of changing the spots of leopards or the color of an Ethiope into lily-white. Jesus wouldn’t be so easily drawn in. So he asks,
” There must be pressing reasons?”
Jesus would have paused and said with concern,” Hold it I have my own reasons.”
Tempter:” Do you think by assuming a form you can speak to man as one- to- one?”
J: “ No, on the contrary. To teach him to look beyond appearances.”
T: “ You are hardly qualified for that. You are almost illiterate and out of depths here you know.”
“ Perhaps you are right.”
The devil asks with concern,” There is plenty of time. Your mission can wait, till the fields are ripe for plucking. These people are not yet ready.”
Jesus: “Yes, this is what my Father also said. His Spirit burns still within me. So I shall repeat part of that conversation for you,” Yes, Jesus patiently narrates his mission of being 'lamb slain before the foundation of time’.
Jesus speaks up,” My Father asked if I wasn’t rushing to be set down as an example. He in fact said,’ what they did to my prophets and saints is in my Book of Remembrance. I leave it to you.. You know what I said? ‘ My example shall go long way when sound of my speech lose in the clamor of the world.’ Tell John if you meet him I can well understand what it is to burn for His word."
" John, whom you so hold highly thinks you have missed the point."
" That is his opinion. These people whom I have come seeking shall follow my call."
Tempter laughs him to scorn and asks if he really believed any one could repeat another’s life as exactly as one was lived.
Jesus replies him to not to go off a tangent, which he rebuts with a touch of annoyance. “ No I did not go off side,” Tempter retorts, “ You shall select your disciples to spread the kingdom of heaven. Will you not? They will jockey for power than imitate you.”
The Son of Man replies,” Take those disciples whom I shall choose for my ministry. Each apostle shall be as human as those whom he brings around. But in whichever manner they are added to the Church, my example would have made a difference. Wouldn’t they?”
Tempter: “ They are lost souls if I may say so. Ravening wolves in sheep’s clothing. Before they can quite catch on little errors on their way. When they think they are scriptural and speak with authority for you, they shall be mentally counting silver gained in the bargain. ”
“ Don’t be too quick to write them off,” Jesus rebuts him,” Many would be lost in this world, yes, here and now.” Jesus explains of other worlds of which no mortal eyes have seen or heard. “My servants shall know where they have erred when the time comes; they shall know they are in need of grace as those who resisted while on the earth. Grace is for all time.” (note: cf. Matt 20:16)
Of course tempter cannot understand it. He still bravely insists of proving him wrong if not misguided. Jesus explains,” After all My Father is the Lord of all worlds. Of Time. It is His responsibility.”
“ If so why waste your time doing miracles before those who cannot understand their true significance? Some may even imitate you and draw great crowd and damn their own souls. Pride made Moses fall. So shall damn so many.”
Jesus replies thus: “ I cannot deny myself because some weak souls may be tempted to use power as demonstrated by me. My example is my essence. Those who use power for their profit shall lose their way as a result. But still they are in the keeping of my Father. “
The tempter falls silent and suddenly he is excited,” Then why let yourself die a transgressor’s death?’ Cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree. This is not my word. But Law is specific on this point.”
Jesus wearily shrugs and says,” I am from my Father in heaven; also a man at least in flesh. I chose to be man rather, when I had freedom of choice. That is my right. Yes, my own choice.” He excuses himself saying he would need time for himself. The tempter leaves him for a while.
All that he can do is gnash his teeth and mutter, ” Hanging between heaven and earth. What a choice! Aha it is what happens of being two places at the same time. Lord of this universe, Bah!”
benny

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home