sufficient-unto-this-day

Friday, May 18, 2007

W3 Day 3 Truth Of Experience

A slice of life.
In 1955 My father packed my elder brother and me off to a boarding school, because of constant disruption in our studies following his frequent transfers. The school with all its Dickensian touches and rampant hypocrisy among the teachers who were more noted for their mediocrity and brutal punishments than fine qualities left me unscathed. Its regimental style in a manner suited me fine: I found some order in life. I made friends easily and extended my horizons due to the number of friends I made and kept.
Of two contacts in particular I shall mention here. Cyril was my brother’s classmate and Sam was of my age. They were not my friends exactly but kindred spirits. We went apart after we had completed our studies.
Cyril and Sam had completely vanished from my ken though I never lost a chance to enquire of my friends whenever I met any of my schoolfellows or boarders.
Well after almost half a century I came to Coonoor a place high in the Blue Mountains in the south India. It was purely by sheer accident that my wife and I set up home here. Before we left the lowlands we were all for making Ootacamund our home. Oh no, we changed it for Coonoor last minute.
After we had moved in Quail Hill, I found to my surprise both Sam and Cyril lived in the neighborhood. It was as they were waiting to pick up the threads from where we had left off. The Past indeed seeps through Present.
But would that mean one may go back into past? Or turn back time?
Truth of Experience keeps every experience of ife-forms distinct; how one may take lessons from experience shall be unique for each as explained by the story The House Of Joy.
2.

Siva the destroyer was resting under a large spreading tree. He had laid his couch over the grass and slept knowing that while he rested life will go on in its own sweet way. Unknown to him a hunter was chasing a bird through a forest and it in panic flew through the foliage of the tree. It disturbed a wasp’s nest, which made the wasps very mad. One stung the sleeping god. He was so enraged at it and opened his third eye balefully. Having scorched the fields and beyond he went back to his sleep.
When he got up he realized what he had done in a moment’s anger. He felt sorry and looked if he could do anything to make amends. “Is there anything I can do, brother wasp?” the Destroyer called out.
“I dunno,” the wasp replied and went on with his chores. It amazed Siva no little that there was nothing to show that he did scorch the earth. Grass grew thick and cattle were having a good time; so were every bird and the bees.
“Was I dreaming then?” the god could not help wondering.
Tailpiece: Actions have a life of their own. Chain of events which a life-form sets into motion will go on after it ceases to exist. What energy was spent by Siva in destroying part of the earth was made use of by life forms for their own ends.

benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home