sufficient-unto-this-day

Friday, December 14, 2007

Sermon on the Anthill

What is holiness?
A Greek Orthodox believer will have his definition as much as a Jewish fundamentalist will have his own. Does our practice of certain rituals make us any holier than another? From the theological point of view holiness is defined as being separated unto the purpose of the Lord God. Thus when God orders Moses to separate Aaron for his ministry He makes the meaning clear. He is set apart for communing with Him in the Most Holy Place. He is like every other Israelite in all respects except when he ministers for the Children of Israel in an appointed place. The believers of the early Church are urged by Apostle Paul to offer their bodies as a ‘reasonable service.’ In the words of Jesus his followers must be like a city that is set on a hill. It cannot be missed for it is so set and bears the image of the One who is its author and finisher.
Jesus of course had in mind Jerusalem when he compared his followers to a city. We Christians have literally taken Jesus at his words and made it a divided city. So words of Jesus has been made a mockery by those whose profess to be His children. Why should then we be surprised if the word ‘Holiness’ has become a byword for licentiousness?
2.
In short holiness can be interpreted any which way. Such a manner makes a travesty of holiness. Then the question arises who shall among man settle the question beyond doubt?
No one I am afraid.
In my lexicon whatever touched by Life is holy. The Holy Grail is holy because it was found use for the Son of man. My drinking cup is holy is holy because it is set apart for drinking. By that argument my spittoon also is holy since it is for a certain purpose. We are all holy since we are living beings. We are not made impure because some of us eat pork and some of us are die-hard vegans. All these distinctions are manmade and do not carry anything special.
I shall not be judged by what I eat or drink. From my youth up I have found the words of Paul rather inspiring. I hold no scruples to the kind of food I eat; neither I shall be a slave to this or that. May be as an Indian, detachment in all things was one trait I could easily latch on to.
Being inured to a life of simplicity all that has come as my baggage I can take it or leave it.
I shall sign off having said my thoughts on the subject:
Holy Brother of Anthill

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home