sufficient-unto-this-day

Monday, August 06, 2007

W12 D6- Variations On A Theme

Variations On A Theme
“In my Father’s house are many mansions…”(St. Jn 14:2)
The redemptive work of Jesus applies to us and we as Christians seek the straight and narrow path in order to perfect the work that he has begun in our lives. Cannot God do with other peoples and species according to His will and pleasure?
“On the Isle of G- off Malacca straights a curiously wrought statue of a comodor
dragon can still be seen. On my honor as a Christian and ever in fear of salvation for my soul ( if I should lie with a view to deceive), I narrate matters that I have handled and seen at first hand during my unfortunate exile from my homeland. My spiritual mentor, a Malay whom I shall call after the fashion of the natives as Hermit of the Mountains avers on good authority that it has fallen from the sky.( Thereby he means, as I surmise, originated from another world.)
The hermit informed me on more than three occasions that it was born of an egg from a female dragon without having mated with another. Of immaculate conception of our Blessed Virgin I can vouch for but of this miracle among the dragons I merely mention for the highest esteem I hold for my mentor whose veracity I cannot doubt even while dealing with a matter as marvelous as this.
The dragon-child having learnt to walk as soon as he was born and could show his precocity in so many ways that made many slow learners of his species very jealous. They made him feel as though he were an outcast. They did think a pure being as he and far more accomplished than they ought find some other place. They despised him for his body that was without any blemish, a fact they made look as though a bad thing. His skin were covered with scales like armour plated would catch the rays of the sun and radiate even through the night.
The dragon-child one morning thought a curious thought, and it remained in a stupor for a fortnight. One morning it disappeared altogether. Next we see him flying right into the Great Lake where he died: his scales all tipped with the luminescence that he had caught there healed the lake. It opened out into the sea, which we now know as Gulf of Thailand.
Three days the dragon-child suffered agonies of slowly sinking under his weight amidst sulphurous fumes. His watery death however brought healing to the fishes that came into the Lake. Nowhere you shall see fishes as iridiscent and varied as you find there. The folks all around had abundant catch of fishes since then.”
This is a free rendition of the oral account passed on to me by a person whom I hold in highest regard. ( signed by Captain Jan Snyder of Scheveningen in the year of our Lord- 1899)
From diligent enquiries I have been able to get some background information as to this sea-captain who had worked in a whaling ship around 1854 and was presumably lost at sea. After the cataclysmic event of Krakatoa this worthy sea captain suddenly turned up in Scheveningen, Holland excusing for his long absence to matters he were not free to reveal till the appointed time. Instead he has left a thick bundle of papers tied in a hemp ropes for safekeeping which were in a sea-chest. Before he left it with the office relating to the Whaler’s Relief Fund ( off the Prince Mauritz Canal ) he was particular that rest of the papers should not be disturbed on any account till he came in person for them.
benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home