sufficient-unto-this-day

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Million Dollar Legs

The top 25 hedge fund managers in the USA according to Alpha magazine made 14 billion dollars last year. It would seem the times are good for those who want to play with other peoples money and one can make a killing if one has the cool nerve for it. “ Perhaps you think I am crying ‘sour grapes’?
Let me admit I haven’t seen a $1000 bill let alone thought of dollars in terms of millions. The only time I lovingly thought of millions was when Betty Grable showed her legs and I thought, “Wow, Million dollar babe!” I had even a pinup carefully hidden under my mattress, which my father one morning had in his hands. His look said it all: shades of hell yawning for you! If his looks said that, his tearing it, he vowed was for the good of my soul. Yiikes! It still makes me sigh, “ Betty’s gams! She was my kind of babe!”
Having lost the yen for the real thing like a woman’s curves and shapes what does a billion call to the mind of an old fogey like me?
14 billions is much more than it would cost to provide health care for a year to 8 million children. Some of them for the lack of adequate care might end with osteoporosis and other disabilities as they age. They may never be Betty Grables or Jane Russels. They may not even make the grade of a GI Joe!
benny

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home