sufficient-unto-this-day

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Blood Of A Poet

Don’t Panic! I mentioned a film of Jean Cocteau. A classic. Speaking of poet I also have tried a hand in poetry. But blood as represented by this poet, is worth only $68. So I have come to conclude since I paid the sum to be a member of international Society of Poets. Is there such a society in reality serving the interests of poets?
The following news item will explain:

quote:The National Library of Poetry has recently changed their name to International Library of Poetry (or poetry.com).

Poetry Ghastly, Published Fastly 
by John Woestendiek 
from The Philadelphia Inquirer
"To help you further understand what the National Library of Poetry is all about, let me tell you what else [in addition to the opportunity to purchase their poetry anthology] I've been offered in the last year (and also take this opportunity to apologize to my mail carrier): 

"My poem mounted on a walnut-finish plaque ($38), read by a professional reader on cassette tape ($29.95), and printed on laminated wallet-sized cards (96 for $49.95); an invitation to join the International Society of Poets, also located in Owings Mills, Md., and attend its annual convention ($595); election into the International Poetry Hall of Fame, and a permanent John Woestendiek Poetry Exhibit in their World Wide Web museum ($189); an application for an International Society of Poets Master Card; and a letter from a music production company saying they had read my first poem and thought it should be set to music -- either rock, soul, country, gospel or folk -- and offering to do that and send me five copies of the cassette ($299)."
This web page is provided as a public service by Wind Publications.unquote

Reading this I had a feeling that I was reliving my ‘poetic’ experience
( poetic sounds grander, don’t you think? ) worth $68 dollars.
Poor Cocteau must be turning in his grave.
P.S I must thank John and the Wind Publications for their service. Only wished that I had read them one week earlier. In the meantime some literary ghoul has made money out of me. I should have kicked myself for my stupidity. May be later. I am still laughing to my guts that I am yet to make money, not even one lousy buck, mind you,- from being true to my calling!

benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home