sufficient-unto-this-day

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Mad Max

First of all let me greet you from my present hide-out.
Yeah I am hiding from some serious contagion that seeps across my life: age is something of a virus and it has caught me good and proper. Each day I can feel its clammy breath saying," Don't fight me!" I would like to give some retort but gasp, It makes me feel somewhat breathless. So I thought I might clue you in. This blog is a rehash of Sufficient unto this day but with some changes here and there. ( Just to prove even ageing has some useful lessons I can profit from.)
My wife and I are happily settled in.
Till I have some fighting spirit in me I shall stay put in this quiet corner. Even corners have names and this one is called Coonoor. I am surrounded by blue hills and the mist rises each day giving them some peculiar quality. Picturesque place, as beautiful and serene as any other hallowed spots that may still be found unspoilt on the earth,- and for all that heavenly qualities I do not think it lets me off the slow contagion that we mortals have to put up with. So I ask you why should I escape from what is our common fate?
A Fool Is A Wiseman (Who just missed the bus)
‘Mad’ Max was designated as the biggest fool who ever lived in a town with a curious name Pie-In-The-Sky. As soon as he learnt to assemble a refrigerator he knew he wanted to sell one. So he took off to the North Pole. But the Inuit didn’t buy a single one and he died a very poor man. All that he left behind was some ice boxes and a technical manual.
On the other hand Dr. Faustus having made a pact with the devil became the most celebrated scholar who knew everything that went under the Sun, which passed for knowledge. How the crowned heads and scholars alike feted him! Then came the computers that made him redundant. He died in grief. He said that a machine beat him. Yes.
The world went a-changing! Then came a thaw and ice melted. The polar caps vanished as an icicle in a furnace. The people in Nunavut learnt to live with the climate changes. Then someone found the papers of ‘Mad’ Max and it was a discovery that electrified the whole region. They learnt to make fridges themselves and control their houses to the right temperature. Who contributed to the welfare of the world more? A fool or a scholar?
benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home