sufficient-unto-this-day

Friday, May 05, 2006

a human scale

Our essence cannot be in our body which is corporeal;nor can it be in our intellect which is merely a vehicle for taking our cues from Idea an absolute value. Let us for argument sake call it Truth. It is Absolute but it is not our essence. Identity is Truth given a human face. A human scale.
One evening a beggar approached Rabbi Benn Weiss and said that he was an angel in disguise.” Never mind these tatters, Rabbi,” he said in a conspiratorial tone, “I am indeed an angel sent down to find how many in this City of Peace are worthy to be called His own. So I shall ask you to buy me dinner.”
They were before a sidewalk restaurant. “Of course!” Rabbi said and treated him to a hearty meal while he stuck to the usual. The stranger remained by his side even after he had paid the bill and wanted to go home.
It was late.
“I need a place to stay for tonight, Rabbi.”
“Try Wayfarer’s Lodge over there. It is free and clean.” ”You gave me dinner and why refuse me now?”
Benn Weiss interrupted him saying,” A poor man’s dinner is no bother, But to have you under my roof, is more than a man like me can afford.” “But I am an angel!”
“Go tell that to your archangel, my friend. He sent you didn’t he?”
Rabbi Benn Weiss walked on.

* Among mankind Truth needs to have a human scale;
benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home