sufficient-unto-this-day

Thursday, May 04, 2006

ask me another!

Mahirshi Shunya when a baby was entrusted under the care of an ascetic. Years later he would tell of his experience to his many disciples.
Once he narrated thus:

‘ My mentor on seeing me for the first time told my father that I was too raw. “ It is too early to teach spiritual precepts,” he said. Ten years later my father led to him and Acharya Peepul examined me. He said ‘ Just as I expected. The boy has become a regular dunce. He knows too many things which are irrelevant and not to the purpose.” He looked at me searchingly and in the end agreed to take me as his chela (pupil).

On the first day I asked him if birth was another name for death. My mentor asked me,” you get rid of all that you have learnt. Then I shall explain to you.” Rest of the day I spent in getting rid of whatever I had acquired by way of knowledge. It was impossible. In the end I had to admit defeat. My mentor kindly asked me to sleep it off. Next morning I ran to my mentor to say,” Master I didn’t think of it while I slept.”
“ But now?”
How shamefaced I was! That moment I admitted I remembered everything that I had, the day before tried to get rid of. “ O.K.” you have learnt the lesson. Take your place with other boys.”
His disciples asked,” What was the lesson you learnt that day?”
“ Not to ask useless questions,” replied Mahirshi Shunya.

benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home