sufficient-unto-this-day

Monday, June 02, 2008

On Mysteries

‘ This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman.’….Gen 2: 23
This verse I know is controversial and apt to bring strong disapproval from many since it goes against all known facts, that are tagged under Science. The Bible is not Science as far as man’s enquiry is limited to his physical world where every aspect of what could be measured and classified hangs upon pegs of man’s understanding. His rational mind is then the arbiter of such facts. When plastics was invented the world went ga-ga as to what it could do to add to the comforts of modern living. The world's annual consumption of plastic materials has increased from around 5 million tonnes in the 1950s to nearly 100 million tonnes today. No one had foreseen clearly then as to the threat it would pose one day in fouling our environment. Technology merely speaks of man’s certain capacity to create but not his mastery of his creations. Science similarly bears the hallmark of his enquiring mind but do not insure against the errors that his mind is privy to.
As a Christian I have no fight with Science: my contention with it is only that it addresses my needs in part. It is woefully wanting in several other parts. I am concerned about my physical world as well as a world, which I can feel within my bones as real. I straddled all these 65 years two worlds as it were, never feeling a stranger in either. So Science must not intrude in matters it has no useful role to play.
When I read a verse that proclaims God created man in his image it is unnecessary for me to ask myself if man were evolved from the family of apes or not. ‘All scripture is given by inspiration of God … for instruction in righteousness’(2 Ti 3:16) In the earlier post I quoted the verse where Adam became a living soul because God breathed into him. Since my conception of my soul is derived from that act, it is a living thing, as real as the credit card I use for buying weekly groceries. Money may lose in value but my soul isn’t affected by such vagaries of market economy. It may be science that explains why we have fallen into recession but what does it matter to my soul?
Soul I hold as the pinion on which my both worlds revolve. As the verse in the epistle to Timothy tells when I need to be instructed in righteouness I rely on the Scriptures and not Science. Thus the key verse that I quoted is to be spiritually discerned. (1 Co 2: 14)
Our righteousness is derived as Adam’s contextual substance came from his context to God. Therefore Adam bearing the breath of God shall consider himself as a source: it is indeed the truth since Eve was a spiritual creation meant to be his comfort and companion as God had intended from the beginning.
benny

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home