sufficient-unto-this-day

Monday, January 29, 2007

Which Yardstick Shall We Use?

Monk Anselmo once received a monk of exceptional parts and he spoke eight languages and had translated the Holy Writ in each. I was present the time he explained to the yokels of The Pie-In-the Skye the manner God had blessed him. He was sure it was to spread the word of God to people of all tongues all over the earth.
After all the excitement died he said with a very woebegone expression that it set off a bitter feud among nations as to the day when the Lord God rested from his labor. ‘Eight times I have been burnt in effigy’ said the vising scholar monk, ‘and it makes me sad.’
After a week he asked Monk Anselmo pointing to me and Master Crapper, “This two have been idling for a week. Are they sick or something?”
Monk Anselmo called me and asked me to answer the monk. I explained.
“ We got the Holy Writ by all acounts on Sunday. The day our Good Lord rested after creation. Sunday of the Lord enjoins us to take rest. So we refuse to work as matter of principle.”
“One cycle of cosmos is one day in Lords’s calender,” added Master Crapper, “Come next cycle we shall work our butts off.”

benny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home