sufficient-unto-this-day

Friday, November 10, 2006

At The Babbler's Club

The Babbler’s Club was over the Corn Exchange and Basileus went into the hall where many members were seated. Aesop hesitated but Basileus urged him not to mind them. ‘They are like me, friendly and eager to hear news’. Aesop explained they all were well dressed and well fed. There was a smell of luxury about them to which he being a slave was not accustomed. “You are accustomed to me. Are you not?” “Yes, I serve you. It is different.”
“No, it is not,” Basileus, replied, ”You feel uncomfortable because you only see your position in life. Whereas we all are here to hear news from one another and exchange ideas.”
“But will they take me in? What do the rules say?” “The only rule of admittance we keep is this: each member has something to contribute to the benefit of others.”
Aesop need not have worried. They were happy to have him and pressed him to actively support the club thereafter.
When his turn came to speak he said, ”I am an orphan or was rather abandoned by my parents. I was found bundled up in front of a tavern with a note: he is a crybaby, feed him when he cries. One found me and looked after for some time. When I was six or so he sold me to one Domus in Thrace. Of course there was a note: He is a babbler. Hit him if he continues the habit. Then he looked around to say, ‘Well I am hit. I became a member of the Babbler’s Club.’” There was general merriment. Basileus was at the end congratulated by many members for bringing one who spoke sense and had a good sense of humor.
benny
(Selected from The Life of Aesop.( p.78)- www.lulu.com/content/344881)

2 Comments:

At 1:20 PM , Blogger Jim said...

Would you believe, Benny, that this story, excellent in itself, reminds me of blogging? It does.

 
At 1:59 PM , Blogger benny said...

One of my earliest recollections is reading Aesop Fables. Did it lead me into this quest or it was already an essential /integral part of my psychic landscape I cannot yet determine. I have had my own explanation when i was as old as four what God is like,( if one of my Sundayschool teachers is to be believed). In my book I made him as my mouthpiece.
I am glad yo liked it.
benny

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home